Monday, January 10, 2011

Dear North Carolina,

View from a cliff in Mt. Lemmon


I am writing to tell you that I think I’ve found someone else. Despite our 10+ year relationship and the numerous good times we’ve shared, I’ve decided that it’s time for me to move on. I didn’t come to this decision lightly; in fact, the decision came as  a surprise even to me. I guess you could say it started with the offer of a good salary in CA, and was cemented after sunny t-shirt climbing in Red Rock with Kate and Stuart in January. You’re just too cold in January, and I think the sunny climate here will help me feel more loved.

Love,
Mike


That is said in jest. In fact, I don’t know that I could ever stop loving North Carolina. I am even missing it this moment despite the wonderful winter weather I’ve been having here in the Southwest. That said, I am eagerly anticipating my move to this part of the world.

The real deal-sealer was picking Ben up in Vegas and making the trek down into Phoenix where we enjoyed a fantastic meal with his grandparents. It’s always a treat to spend time with the family and loved ones of people you love and this visit was no exception. Ben’s grandparents proved to be wonderful conversationalists and we had a nice time eating grapefruit from the tree in their yard, and listening to their tales of life in the southwest from the 50s-the 70s. Early this morning we left Phoenix on our way to pick Gary up in Tucson...

The ride to Tucson from Phoenix
    We pulled into Tucson on a beautiful 60 degree sunny day, grabbed Gary, and some green tamales te and made our way to Mt. Lemmon, a place that quickly made its way to the top of my favorite places I’ve ever been. Driving up the mountain you are immediately greeted by HUGE Saguaro cacti, a fantastic species that is more impressive in real life. Gary informed us that the cacti don’t even grow “arms” until they are eighty years old, thus the feeling was one of driving through a weird, unique ancient forest of sorts. 

We had plans to hit up a sunny crag known as “ridgeline” as we were told that its south facing walls are comfortable even on the coldest of winter days. As we climbed up the mountain we were greeted with a ton of snow that had us doubting how comfortable we were going to be. Turns out our fears were unfounded as we found the crag to be so warm (despite being at 7,000’) that we were able to climb in long sleeved t-shirts. 


Hiking back to the car
Atop "Ridgeline"
Gary atop Ridgeline
Another view from the crag




          We quickly dispatched a few classic sport routes before heading back into Tucson for Mexican food at a dive bar (The Iguana)and are now enroute to a  BandB in Bisbee, Arizona. The next few days promise to be a load of fun as we explore the Cochise Stronghold, Nogales Mexico, and a number of interesting towns and places in between. Stay tuned!

Getting ready to rap off

Ben leading the way

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great stories about your journey and all of the people you're meeting along the way. I especially love the pictures! (and of course the author!!!) :)

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete